Domestic Abuse And Harrasement —

Domestic Abuse And Harrasement

Domestic Violence

If you are experiencing domestic violence or harassment, we can advise on the ways you can use the law to protect yourself. There are two types of family law injunctions available, a non-molestation order and an occupation order.

A non-molestation order prohibits the other person from using or threatening violence, or being abusive, harassing or pestering you. Such orders carry an immediate power of arrest should the other person breach the terms of the order in anyway.

An occupation order is an order that limits and defines the occupation of your home. It can prohibit, for example, the other person from coming into your bedroom or it can exclude the other person from the home and area that you live in altogether. The fact that the other person is the legal owner of that home does not matter on such orders.

In cases of emergency in which you fear that you may suffer harm if the other party receives notice of hearing, we protect you with a court order before notifying them of court action.

If you or your children are experiencing harassment or domestic abuse, you need to seek help urgently. We can give you advice about making an application to court for instant protection. We understand these steps are often taken in very difficult circumstances, and we aim to help and support our clients through these stages. We are responsive in a crisis and can take immediate action to ensure the safety of you and your children. Anything you tell us about domestic violence or harassment will be treated in strict confidence. If you are in immediate danger it is very important you contact the police in the first instance...

There are never two cases that are same, every case is different and that are why we approach all cases sensitively.

Here are some of the steps we advise people in these difficult situations to think about:
• Report any incidents to the police – is the matter if urgent call 999 • Go to your GP if you are experiencing any form of domestic violence • Speak to a friend about the situation and ask her to take photographs of any injuries • If you receive abusive messages on your telephone, then keep them • Get a dairy and make note of dates and incidents that have occurred

This information can be used as evidence if you decide to apply to court for orders of protection. We are always here to help protect you and your loved ones.

Please contact us in confidence if you want to discuss your situation or whether you qualify for our Milson Legal help scheme. Call us now on 0113 873 0032 or complete the form below and we will call you back when it suits you.